Translate

Friday, February 1, 2013

Aquaponics Paludarium running 6 years now...


This my demonstration paludarium.  Its been running for about 6 years now.  It incorporates terrestrial, marginal, vertical, and aquatic elements.  Its made from 40 gallon tall glass tank which was drilled for an overflow and return.  Originally the pump was in a compartment underneath the terrestrial area but getting to it for any maintenance proved too difficult.  The solution was to build a sump tank (seen below).  There is a drip filter with bio balls, a sponge filter, and the rest of the substrate is hydroton clay balls.  There are guppies and a goldfish in the aquatic area and canyon tree frogs in the terrestrial area.  The plants are cilantro, philodendron, and bamboo. 

The canyon tree frogs are native to Arizona.  This one is 4 years old and still kicking.
Here is a side view.  There were agave in the cracks of the cork which is attached to the back wall.  These became too large and had to be removed.  I once had mint but it became too aggressive.  I also had a yucca which oddly enough did very well in the marginal area where its feet were always wet.  This eventually became too large as well.  The aquatic plants are anubias, red dragon, and bunching crypts.  I rarely ever change the water.  I feed insects to the fish and frogs.  Their manure fertilizes the plants.  When I clear out plants I am effectively 'cleaning' out excess nutrients.  I then feed the plants to my insect cultures and the cycle starts over.  The insects also process my food scraps.

For a picture of my roach culture see here: http://agroregeneration.blogspot.com/2012/07/blaptica-dubia-feeder-roach.html


No comments:

Post a Comment